How Long Does an Oil Change Take?
Whether you’re doing it yourself or having it performed by a professional mechanic, changing your vehicle’s oil is a vital aspect of automotive maintenance. As a way to make sure our fellow Maple Shade, Moorestown, and Cherry Hill drivers are well informed when it comes to the oil change process, we here at Elite Acura have compiled the following information about what an oil change entails and how long it takes.
From beginning to end, an oil change usually takes about 20 minutes to perform. Here is a quick rundown of what goes on during that time. If you have any questions as you’re making your way down the page, any of our experienced technicians will be happy to answer them.
Not sure if you need an oil change? Learn about the five signs you need an oil change!
Draining the Old Oil
It takes about five minutes to drain the old oil and change the oil filter.
Adding the New Oil
The next step is to pour in the new oil. This takes about two to three minutes.
The remaining 10 to 12 minutes or so are spent inspecting, cleaning, and replacing the following items:
- Air and cabin filters: The air filter protects your engine from dirt and dust that would otherwise get in there and muck up the works. The cabin filter keeps contaminants like pollen and dirt from entering the cabin where you and your passengers could breathe them in. Both filters are inspected and are replaced if they look too dirty.
- All fluids are checked: The antifreeze, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and transmission fluid are all checked for erosion and leaking and are topped off as needed.
- The battery: When your technicians check the battery, they’re making sure its voltage is at a high, healthy level, the battery is holding a charge, and that there is no erosion or leakage taking place.
- Belts: During a standard oil change, your engine’s belts will be replaced if they show any signs of excess wear and tear such as bulging, rotting, or glazing.
- Lights: From headlights, brake lights, and blinkers, everything is inspected to make sure they’re all in good working order and that no bulbs are burnt out.
- Tire pressure: Next, your tires get the onceover to see that they have the correct air pressure level and are free of excess wear like cracks, swelling, or separating.
- Wiper blades and windshield washer fluid: During a routine full-service oil change, the mechanics will run a test of the wiper blades and windshield washer fluid to make sure the entire system is working properly. Additionally, the washer fluid is topped off and the overall condition of the blades is checked.
- Vacuuming and safety walkthrough: The final steps include a thorough vacuuming of your vehicle’s interior as well as a quick safety check to look for things such as any loose objects that could get lodged under the peddles.
Schedule Your Oil Change Today
If you’re in the area of Maple Shade, Moorestown, and Cherry Hill and would like to have your oil changed by our factory-trained technicians, contact Elite Acura to schedule your appointment today!